We’ve all been there! You’re ready to go out and party with your friends, you look in the mirror and those dark circles make you look like you haven’t slept in years and they seem to have aged you as well…ugh. Have no fear! We’re here to discuss what causes them and how you can minimize their appearance and in some cases get rid of them naturally!
First and foremost it’s important to understand that dark circles can occur regardless of age, skin shade and type. They can be hereditary, caused by stress, allergies, dehydration, lack of sleep, anemia, dehydration or smoking. The skin around our eyes is thin and fragile which unfortunately causes dark circles to appear more prominent.
We’re going to discuss 5 ways in which you can attempt to reduce the look of these dark circles naturally. Everybody’s skin is different so what may work for one person may not work for another. It’s going to be trial and error until you find what works best for you and your skin type.
Yup! You’re reading that right….anything that is cold can help reduce dark circles and puffiness under your eyes. Potatoes stay colder longer and have additional properties such as antioxidants, nutrients, enzymes and starch that help nourish the skin.
- Cut the cold potato into thick slices, place them over your eyes and ensure full coverage. Keep them in on your eyes for approximately 15-20 minutes.
If your dark circles are due to exhaustion and lack of sleep than rosewater should be at the top of your list! It has antiseptic as well as anti-bacterial properties. It protects against redness, inflammation, puffiness and itchy eyes.
- Take two cotton pads and soak them in rosewater, place them on closed eyes for 15-20 minutes and then remove. Do this daily until you see improvement.
You can also add cold milk to your rosewater as this will further aid with puffiness.
Almond Oil is full of antioxidants, vitamin K and nutrients. It helps contract dilated blood vessels and has anti-inflammatory properties that can help diminish puffy eyes and the dark circles that are often connected with them.
- On a clean dry face take a small amount of almond oil and place it around the eyes. Gently massage the oil around the eyes until the oil is absorbed.
- Wash off in the morning
Mint has astringent, antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. The astringent aspect of mint effectively helps to constrict blood vessels near your eyes that get dilated, which in turn shows off the blood as the bluish-black tint which we call dark circles. It is an extremely cool and soothing herb which causes relaxation around the eyes.
- Place a handful of fresh mint in a bowl and crush it to form a paste (you can also add lemon if you’d like). Apply the paste around your eyes and leave it for 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
- Repeat this twice daily
Witch Hazel is an excellent natural astringent and has been utilized by many to treat various medical conditions such as bruising, swelling and sores. Witch Hazel contains components such as Proanthocyanins, Catechins, Gallic acid, Tannin, essential oils, choline and saponins. These components allow witch hazel the properties that can reduce the look of dark circles. Soak two cotton pads and place them on your eyes covering all dark areas for 5-8 minutes.
Lastly, dark circles can develop from poor diet and lifestyle. Deficiency in Vitamins A, E, K and B12 as well as calcium and iron can be contributing factors. The following are some tips with regards to diet and lifestyle that may help you reduce those dark circles or help prevent them from coming!
- WATER…drink it! Lots of it
- Reduce your salt intake
- Increase the amount of green vegetables in your diet
- Getting enough sleep every night is crucial! 7-8 hours each night should be sufficient
- Take vitamin supplements if you may be missing some from your diet
- Avoid the sun…or at least during the hours of 12-4 when the UV rays are at their highest
- Wear sunglasses that have UVB and UVA protection!
We would love to hear if you added any of these methods to your skincare regime and if any of them worked for you!